[Klug-general] Klug documentation

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 18:15:31 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 13:18 +0000, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> I have attached a log of our Virtual Kent Linux User Group IRC Meeting
> for those who are interested to reading what was discussed last night.
>  We all appreciate the work Kevin has done for KLUG and for it to
> continue we 'all' need to give a helping hand and share the work.
>
> We can only have a LUG community if we work together.

I've obviously missed something major here, is Keving taking a
back-seat, leaving entirely or have I completely misread the situation?

With regard to the IRC transcript, I've got a few thoughts:

1) Computer fairs - Attendence at these is a great idea, Sussex have
been doing this with varying sucess for sometime now, there's hardly any
info on their website (http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/bcf.php) however Nik
Butler has been a driving force and has experience of settings these
things up.

2) Covering larger areas of Kent - At the moment, the North-East of Kent
appears to be almost left out from the KLUG map (although I may have
misinterpreted this, apologies if I have!).  A few months ago, I was
going to try and ressurect the Thanet LUG.  I now think that it would be
more beneficial to find somewhere to meet in the Thanet/Canterbury area
for KLUG and alternate between the current meets and a new venue.

I am happy to look into this if people would like me to - a tactic that
has been used with great sucess in the past is that the LUG provides the
venue with a configured WiFi hotspot for their customers and the venue
provides the space in exchange for an agree level of support.  Again,
this is just a suggestion, so thoughts etc are more than welcome (I know
that supporting end-users can be time-consuming, it's what I do for a
living!).

3) Forums vs. Mailing Lists - Personally, I prefer mailing lists.  I
don't have to go anywhere specific, I just need to fire up my
mail-client (be it webmail, Evolution/Thunderbird or my mobile phone)
and I can read the conversations with needing to worry about the
formatting etc.

4) Setting up KLUG as a charity - I know that this was just thrown into
the meeting, however I can probably get hold of a lot of advice on this
subject through a project I used to work on call Bristol Wireless
(http://www.bristolwireless.net/) - it's one of the largest
community-based/lead wireless networks in the UK and BW is a
co-operative with terms of membership, charters etc.

Anyways, I've wasted enough bandwidth with my thoughts, let me know what
you think,

Matt