[Klug-general] the future of KLUG

Margot margot at lawrence1961.f9.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 14:08:47 GMT 2007

james snyder wrote:
> Following the announcement of K to hand over the reigns.....
>
> Colin has recently raised the question, "what is the future of KLUG?"
>
> In response, further questions have been raised in the recent pub meeting in Maidstone, our bulletin board and the IRC meeting by KLUG members.
>
> Here are just a few questions that some of us KLUGGERS have been thinking about.....

Another question...

Should KLUG abandon all pretence of serving the whole enormous
county of Kent, change its name to East Kent LUG to reflect the fact
that it concentrates all its activities in East Kent and does
nothing at all in West Kent, and leave us (if there's anybody other
than me!) in West Kent to set up our own group, mailing list etc?

Kent is simply too big to be covered by one group. Hold meetings at
one of the far extreme edges of Kent, and people from the other
extreme won't be able to get there, hold meetings centrally and
people from both extreme edges will have difficulty. We're all busy
people, and nobody wants to attend meetings where the travelling
time is longer than the meeting itself - it's ridiculous to expect
anybody to make a 100 mile round trip just to attend a LUG meeting!

I'm in Otford, near Sevenoaks, and I have ME so my ability to travel
is limited. Since I joined KLUG - I can't remember exactly when, but
it must be at least a couple of years -  there has not been one
single meeting at a venue within reasonable travelling distance.
Sevenoaks would be ideal, Tonbridge, Swanley, Dartford or even
Tunbridge Wells would be possible, but anywhere further than that is
too far for me to even consider.

A Dartford venue was suggested - and I see it's been pencilled in
for the meetings in March, June & September - but we don't seem to
have any details of the venue on the website. And it's not exactly
convenient for members from Dover & Thanet!

Oh, and if there's anybody else here from West Kent, please de-lurk
& wave - I'm feeling a little lonely over here!

--
Margot (possibly the only Linux user in West Kent)