[Klug-general] Klug documentation

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 21:43:09 GMT 2007

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> 1) Computer fairs - Attendence at these is a great idea, Sussex have
> been doing this with varying sucess for sometime now, there's hardly any

Been there. Cost is what it always comes down to.

> 2) Covering larger areas of Kent - At the moment, the North-East of Kent
> appears to be almost left out from the KLUG map (although I may have
> misinterpreted this, apologies if I have!).  A few months ago, I was
> going to try and ressurect the Thanet LUG.  I now think that it would be
> more beneficial to find somewhere to meet in the Thanet/Canterbury area
> for KLUG and alternate between the current meets and a new venue.

We've had conversations about this before. Membership is sparse around
that area and enthusiasm is even sparser. I always live to be proved
wrong though.

> 4) Setting up KLUG as a charity - I know that this was just thrown into
> the meeting, however I can probably get hold of a lot of advice on this
> subject through a project I used to work on call Bristol Wireless
> (http://www.bristolwireless.net/) - it's one of the largest
> community-based/lead wireless networks in the UK and BW is a
> co-operative with terms of membership, charters etc.

A lot of work. We will need a bank account, accounts, AGM and possibly a
few other things. If the LUG goes down that route then we all could face
subs to cover the costs.

I don't want to put too much of a downer on things but we have to be
realistic as to what would happen to the membership should this route be
taken.