[Klug-general] Klug documentation

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Jan 17 07:13:36 GMT 2007

Quoting Kevin Groves <kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk>:

> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:

>> 2) Covering larger areas of Kent - At the moment, the North-East of Kent
>> appears to be almost left out from the KLUG map (although I may have
>> misinterpreted this, apologies if I have!).  A few months ago, I was
>> going to try and ressurect the Thanet LUG.  I now think that it would be
>> more beneficial to find somewhere to meet in the Thanet/Canterbury area
>> for KLUG and alternate between the current meets and a new venue.
> We've had conversations about this before. Membership is sparse around
> that area and enthusiasm is even sparser. I always live to be proved
> wrong though.

I've had a few emails over the last few months saying that people are
interested - so far it's about six people however I'm not too sure how
many people are even aware that the Thanet LUG exists.  I think that a
marketing campaign may be in order (Computer shops and the like) and
I'll see if there are enough people interested to require a venue in
the area.  If there are, then I definitely think that we should look
at amalgamating the LUGs, however that's probably quite a way down the
line.

>> 4) Setting up KLUG as a charity - I know that this was just thrown into
>> the meeting, however I can probably get hold of a lot of advice on this
>> subject through a project I used to work on call Bristol Wireless
>> (http://www.bristolwireless.net/) - it's one of the largest
>> community-based/lead wireless networks in the UK and BW is a
>> co-operative with terms of membership, charters etc.
>>
> A lot of work. We will need a bank account, accounts, AGM and possibly
> a few other things. If the LUG goes down that route then we all could
> face subs to cover the costs.

A good point and one I'd not thought of.  The main thrust behind BW is
social improvement through IT, most of the cash is raised through
grants and quango-led funding.

> I don't want to put too much of a downer on things but we have to be
> realistic as to what would happen to the membership should this route
> be taken.

I like realism, it makes a refreshing change from what the wider world
appears to be doing right now - Ostrich impressions. :)

Cheers,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace