[Klug-general] Will this revolutionise the linux vs windows war?

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Wed Jan 17 19:45:22 GMT 2007

> Well reading the "manual" intructions it looks like it installs in
> c:\ubuntu and modifies c:\boot.ini to add its self to the XP boot
> menu, so hmm runs under ntfs on the c drive. Looks like a glofied live
> cd to run off an installed directory of XP,

Linux can't run under NTFS because of the distinct lack of any decent
permission system. It will create a loopback file system on top of
NTFS, this is the only way I've seen such things done and the only
possible way AFAIK.

Chances are its nothing like a live CD, because within the loopback
filesystem you can read and write on NTFS, as long as the size of the
file doesn't change the MFT and errata stay fully intact. I'd expect
if the Ubuntu guys are anything to go on, that its a full version of
ubuntu, they never seem to devalue their own product when they reach
out into things like this.

http://www.topologilinux.com/index.php?menu=2

should explain the details.

K,