[Klug-general] Will this revolutionise the linux vs windows war?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 08:00:37 GMT 2007

On 17/01/07, Karl Lattimer <karl at qdh.org.uk> wrote:

> > Well reading the "manual" intructions it looks like it installs in
> > c:\ubuntu and modifies c:\boot.ini to add its self to the XP boot
> > menu, so hmm runs under ntfs on the c drive. Looks like a glofied live
> > cd to run off an installed directory of XP,
>
> Linux can't run under NTFS because of the distinct lack of any decent
> permission system. It will create a loopback file system on top of
> NTFS, this is the only way I've seen such things done and the only
> possible way AFAIK.
>
> Chances are its nothing like a live CD, because within the loopback
> filesystem you can read and write on NTFS, as long as the size of the
> file doesn't change the MFT and errata stay fully intact. I'd expect
> if the Ubuntu guys are anything to go on, that its a full version of
> ubuntu, they never seem to devalue their own product when they reach
> out into things like this.
>
> http://www.topologilinux.com/index.php?menu=2
>
> should explain the details.

Nothing wrong in THEORY with ACLs and hence NTFS has perfectly good
file permissions, and its perfectly reasonable to write a library to
convert standard owner, group, world file permissions in the ACLs. If
we were talking FAT then it would be another matter.
It even says they started with the Live CD Image so I don't think a
glorified live CD is a bad description the glorification is that you
can write to the image.

Peter.