[Klug-general] the future of KLUG

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jan 17 20:43:01 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 19:56 +0000, J D Freeman wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 07:46:39PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Just so you know, it is possible to run a LUG in a big county.
>
> Don't forget the Anglian Linux Users Group, they don't cover one county,
> the cover the whole region of East Anglia.

As I understood it Anglia LUG was a banner for about 7 [0] smaller LUGs
within the region.

> THey aren't the most active ever, but they seem to be reasonably so.

From looking at the mailing list traffic [1] it looks like it is on a
downward slope (look at the volume for each december over the last 5
years.

I suspect many LUGs are suffering in this way. Possibly Linux is
becoming easier to use that less hand-holding is required. Maybe Windows
is more reliable and thus less people switch for the "it's broken"
reason. Maybe other distributions having their own communities [2]
detracts somewhat from LUGs - people only have so much time to devote to
their hobbies.

I don't really know the reason, I am merely speculating. I would suggest
though that some LUGs need a right royal kick up the backside to get
them going. If the leadership doesn't want the job or doesn't have the
time, then let someone else take over. (I am not directing that at
Kent).

Cheers,
Al.

[0] http://www.alug.org.uk/background/jobs.html