[Klug-general] Will this revolutionise the linux vs windows war?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:40:26 GMT 2007

On 18/01/07, Karl Lattimer <karl at qdh.org.uk> wrote:

> > Nothing wrong in THEORY with ACLs and hence NTFS has perfectly good
> > file permissions, and its perfectly reasonable to write a library to
> > convert standard owner, group, world file permissions in the ACLs.
>
> Interesting idea, the problem is that the windows ACLs don't allow
> for execute or suid bits, I wonder how these could be mapped.

I never said there were not going be problems, NTFS does have exectute
(X) settings in the access control list and you could map suid to one
of the other flaggs (probably P or F) I guess.

> You any good at C? Could be an interesting extension to NTFSv3

I said Theory does not se linux do somthing like this already.
(Meaning I don't have the time)

Peter.

> > If
> > we were talking FAT then it would be another matter.
> > It even says they started with the Live CD Image so I don't think a
> > glorified live CD is a bad description the glorification is that you
> > can write to the image.
>
> Its a pretty big difference though!

Yer completly different method of solving the same problem, neither is
better or worse just different method of problem solving.

Peter.