[Klug-general] Methods of Gaining Linux Skills to Work in Industry

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 21:51:39 GMT 2007

Ben,

It hurts me to say it - but one of the accreditation schemes is probably
the best way of demonstrating to yourself and a prospective employer
that you are both capable and serious about Linux.

It hurts me even more (and will pain certain members of the LUG) to
point out that Red Hat are based in Guildford on the science park
attached to the University of Surrey.  They run courses which finish
with an exam and the resulting accreditation. (I know this because I
used to do some work for another firm on the science park.) One day I
might even put myself on one!  Generally you can get the tax back on
this sort of thing if you are paying for it yourself.

Despite what people have to say about Red Hat, their Linux offering is
probably the most widely used in industry, although I imagine that
Novell's Suse is catching up, particularly in the few organisations
putting Linux on the desktop.

Mike