[Klug-general] Methods of Gaining Linux Skills to Work in Industry

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Jan 23 11:29:24 GMT 2007

> I have been using my Linux self-taught skills in a professional working basis for the past 4 years. This has served me well, but always felt I needed some kind of official qualification in order to proof my worth.
>
> So, 2 years ago I decided to study for and take the first exam (101) in the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) at the Expo in London. This I passed, and a year later took the next exam (102) which would give me Level I Certification.
>
> I have told the various clients I currently do work for, and have put this onto my CV - but apart from a 'warm, fuzzy feeling' it has not made a lot of difference yet!
>
> In October this year, I am taking the 201 exam and plan to take the other 3 exams after that - mainly because it makes me feel better, but also to 'prove my worth'.
>
> If anyone would like any more information, just ask.

Personally I don't rate the LPI certification path, looking at the LPI
101 and 102 exams, I'd classify them purely as the most basic of
operation of a UNIX type system, they are for the most part irrelevant
in the world at large. The RH certification path is far more respected
and doesn't simply deal with the real low level stuff that are implied
when someone applies for a Linux job. I haven't looked at the 201+ from
LPI but while trying to I was hit with the problem of
http://www.lpi.org/ being a non-functional web site. Not what I would
call a good start.

Novell or Redhat certification are a better way to go in general because
they are tailored to what the novell/redhat clients are asking for at
the time. Rather than getting someone started on Linux.

That is of course, if you want to get certified, and sure, all it does
is say you've achieved something, most places that are looking for Linux
staffers are looking for someone who is a rare jewel amongst the MCSE
computeach survivors. Having said all that, I've been put through Linux
exams for job interviews that were 5+ years out of date, asking nonsense
like how do you configure a soundblaster 16 ISA sound card... I haven't
seen an ISA slot since 1998!

I believe the most important parts of being a Linux professional rest
in;

* Understanding engineering principles of software, logical flow and
problem solving. (There are lots of scripts in Linux!)
* Understanding the SysV architechture (George, SysV ISN'T DEAD!!!!)
being able to navigate a UNIX system, and apply configuration in the way
that the distribution expects it to be configured. Redhat is always a
good starting point for learning how you SHOULD do things in a
production environment, as 80% is pre-configured anyway
* Being able to operate and configure common services, like the LAMP
stack, OpenLDAP and sendmail.

Skills that any IT professional should have;

* Understanding of email systems (MTA, MH, MUA)
* Being able to locate documentation, assistance/support and applying
what you've ascertained effectively and quickly.
* Understanding of networking principles (Cisco offer a free book about
this stuff on their website)
* Understanding of the basics of computer science, eg. the limits of
determinism on a CPU and network switch etc... Identifying bottlenecks
in CPU usage and network usage.
* Knowing the value of a product in real terms, rather than what the
sales rep tries to convince you of. Be a cynic about every product until
you've seen it function the way YOU want it to.
* Never being afraid of what you don't understand as long as someone
wrote a book/howto about it

The rest comes along as people ask you to do dumb shit which has little
or no benefit overall, but at least you learn something new ;)

Hope this helps,

K,