[Klug-general] Dell to use Ubuntu on Linux PCs

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:14:28 BST 2007

On 03/05/07, Shish <shish at shishnet.org> wrote:
> > It will be interesting to see how much cheaper the laptops with Ubuntu
> > installed on are compared to Windows ones.
>
> Note that windows adds practically zero to the cost, since for every
> windows licence dell buy, they have hundreds of crapware companies
> paying to have their programs installed on the default windows desktop...
>
>     -- Shish

Good point If Dell PC are actually £50 cheaper than machines with
Vista people will buy them. (£50 being the price I can buy a vista OEM
for to build my own PC) maybe we'll have some crapware companies
paying to have their software installed on the default Ubuntu desktop
next. Now that would be interesting.....
Strangly enough that would mean I could get a dell PC for £200 which
would be amazingly good value for money.

Now Vista has this feature that allows me to get a map of all my
switches and computers on my LAN. Only problem is it only includes
vista computers. Is there a similar utility for under Linux or at
least see the same data vista its using. Oh and why don't my Linux
boxes appear and can I make them appear...

Peter.