[Klug-general] Dell to use Ubuntu on Linux PCs

Karl Latimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu May 3 14:21:42 BST 2007

> Now Vista has this feature that allows me to get a map of all my
> switches and computers on my LAN. Only problem is it only includes
> vista computers. Is there a similar utility for under Linux or at
> least see the same data vista its using. Oh and why don't my Linux
> boxes appear and can I make them appear...

ping -b 192.168.0.255

Or xscreensaver radar, configured to ping broadcast is always good ;)

which protocol does it use? a quick ethereal would probably let you
know, I expect it will use mDNS/Bonjour in which case you would probably
need howl, avahi and a few other things, then configure the available
services on each linux system that you wanted to appear.

K,