[Klug-general] Dell to use Ubuntu on Linux PCs

Karl Latimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu May 3 14:58:57 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 14:41 +0100, Shish wrote:
> > I expect it will use mDNS/Bonjour
>
> $5 says it's something which is basically the same, but
> incompaitble, and not even MS themselves have proper protocol
> documentation :P

Erm zeroconf? Microsofts name for the protocol, sits exactly with the
apple bonjour and avahi specs. Zeroconf/Avahi/Bonjour and the supporting
mDNS libs are very well documented, microsoft wouldn't fork this
standard as it isn't in their best interests to do so. They would
essentially be blocking themselves in rather than others out, in much
the same way Linux was before samba (not the best example, but
illustrates a point). If microsoft killed off interoperability now then
they would deplete their market share dramatically, especially as a
result of the increased sales of Mac machines.

Please don't simply use any excuse to bash microsoft, if you look
closely they do actually do _some_ (few) good things. For instance
silverlight supporting python-dom for scripting.

Of course there are always things to bash microsoft about for instance,
a initial list (feel free to add to it)

Integrating the web browser into the os architecture exposing low level
threat security problems to drive by websites, which inflate the threat
to a higher level.

Giving the (dumb) user access to overwrite any and every file in the OS
and insert eggs in the registry, and a variety of 'backward compatible'
places for initiating start up programs.

Zune...

DRM, WMV, WMA etc...

Steve 'monkey man' 'chair chucking' 'wet armpit' Ballmer - He may go by
many names, but Tw@ is the most common in use.

Developing obfuscated protocols in order to prevent interoperability,
developing obfuscated file formats in order to prevent
interoperability.

How much of my time they wasted with windows 95

How much of my time they wasted with windows 98

How many people committed suicide because of windows ME

Anyone wanna add to that?

k,