[Klug-general] Dell to use Ubuntu on Linux PCs

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Thu May 3 15:55:41 BST 2007

Reading around the blogs the such i think the general consenses is
that Dell will be aiming to sell the first batch of linux pcs to
established linux users and developers - ie klugers and the like. As
such i think points 1 and are 2 will probably be a given - after all
you can't sell a linux compatible laptop if only half the features
works.

the answer to points 3 to 6 is probably - no. Ubuntu dosen't supprot
any of those things out of the box and a hope Dell doesn't feel it
should be suppling a 'butchered' version.

What will probably happen is that if consumers (ie non klugers) start
to demand linux machines then Dell will start to supply them with a
distro like Linspire or  apply a bit of pressure onto Canonical to
make these things happen. I'm still actually very surprised they're
not shipping SLES and giving microsoft a way to burn up all those
vouchers.

And as for saving money I'm afraid shish is probably and it's a sad
fact but I doubt there will be much of a saving.