[Klug-general] gnome = kde?

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Wed May 9 21:23:04 BST 2007

MacGyveR wrote:
> i'm wondering if there any actual difference between these two desktops apart
> from the looks.
>
> is there any reason to choose one over the other?
>
> your thoughts please...
>
> ps.
> no "kde/gnome is crap use fvwm" messages etc..

This article might give you some help, but it is unfortunately quite out
of date even though it's only about 18 months old:
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome

I use Gnome, although I do have KDE installed.
To summarise why (just my opinion):
	- Gnome is cleaner, faster and easier
	- Some kde apps are better than their Gnome equivalent but you can
still run Gnome/Kde apps in either desktop, it just takes a little while
for libraries to be loaded.
	- Gnome is the default in Ubuntu, so it's slightly better supported and
used by more people

But on the whole, there isn't a huge amount between them. Perhaps Gnome
has more momentum at the moment as more distributions and people are
using it, but it's mostly a matter of personal preference. Try them both
and make a decision!

Karl

--
www.digital-end.com