[Klug-general] VMWare Workstation - installation

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 26 10:00:59 GMT 2007

Well .. actually I don't work. I am sure I have done something entirely
stupid but it isn't obvious to me.

The system worked immediately upon installation which was gratifying and
I installed Windows2000Professional. All very good so far.

Then I switched it off and went to bed. Ha - big mistake

Yesterday morning I switched it all on again and there was no network.
It was as if the network card had blown.

But loading up the latest CD-distro of Mandriva and running just from
the CD proved otherwise. Network worked fine.

It seems that installing VMWare Workstation had completely screwed up my
network settings on Debian and I am not clever enough to put them right.
So I had to reload Debian 4.0 and reconfigure everything again from scratch.

Very depressing. Another odd thing is that so far I have not been able
to find any clear installation instructions on the VMWare site. Perhaps
I am half blind but it don't seem obvious.

Right now I have to repartition my HD and put a Windows partition on it
to get my Windows 2000 going otherwise we will start the week with no
Sage accounts and that ain't allowed.

Ho well - we tried and thanks for the advice. Perhaps I will try again
before this 30 trial period is over. But I am not impressed and I don't
think I shall pay for it until I can be assured everything will work OK.

Cheers

MikeR