[Klug-general] VMWare Workstation - installation

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Mon Nov 26 21:10:37 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:21 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
> Dan Attwood wrote:
> > I hope your aware as well that vmware installs several virtual network
> > adapters? In ubuntu these are all hidden away nicely , on windows you
> > can see them in the network dialog but I don't know how debian handles them.
> >
> ifconfig will bring them up, they are vmnetX

Correct, vmnet1 is used for "Host only" networking while vmnet8 is used
for "NAT".  I think there are others too but those are the two main
ones.

I have them present on my system running VMware Server but they are not
present on my system running Workstation (because I don't use them).

They appear by virtue of having the vmware modules loaded.  No changes
to your host OS network configuration should be required.

Stu

--
Stuart Buckland <stuart at nightime.org.uk>