[Klug-general] Linux security to start thinking outside the box

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Thu Nov 29 12:41:05 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 11:15 +0000, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> Someone once said, you know guy - you really think outside the box.
> To which he replied, "what box?".
>
> At the risk of becoming increasingly painfully nauseating, I say to you
> again.
>
> Can you build the most securist Linux laptop in the world?
>
> When you think about it - the question is indeed a valid one - all it needs
> is the desire and smarts to find the answer.
>
> I am not suggesting that the technology is the only component of the most
> securiest Linux laptop in the world!
>
> My proposal is that KLUG consider seeking a grant from Government for such a
> project.
>
> With the right help we would be able to demonstrate the most securist laptop
> in the world in approximately 1 year from today.
>
> Please read the stuff about Virgil Griffith; cause he will be one of the
> people in the race to achieve this
> http://intrench.blogspot.com/search/label/information%20leakage
>
> also
> http://intrench.blogspot.com/2007/11/hacker-race-is-on-to-find-most-secure.h
> tml
>
> Happy to discuss in more detail if you can set-up a KLUG meeting in Hythe..
>
> Stephen Ryan
> www.intrench.com
> www.brandspy.org

The technical aspects of creating a secure linux laptop really wouldn't
be very difficult.  You would, of course, need to include a sufficient
level of user training too.

As HMRC repeatedly demonstrate, it doesn't matter how good your IT
security is if you employ idiots.

Calling it the "most secure in the world" would be more challenging than
creating it.  To be taken seriously that statement would need to be
backed up by appropriate studies.  Not impossible though.

--
Stuart Buckland <stuart at nightime.org.uk>