[Klug-general] Mandriva Installfest [WAS Dartford meeting in November?]

Margot margot at lawrence1961.f9.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 19:32:50 BST 2007

Dan Attwood wrote:
> OK a few more thoughts on this
>
> - is it better to call it a 'linux installfest' rather then a 'mandriva' one
> and offer both mandriva and ubuntu? Is their more chance that people will
> have heard of linux then of either ubuntu or mandriva?
>
> - If we were to provide both mandriva and ubuntu how would we pitch the
> distros without confusing the hell out of people?
>
> - There is no internet at the venue. I can work on supplying 'apt on cd' for
> ubuntu builds to get them upto date and provide any extra packages. it there
> something similar for mandriva
>
> - I take it we'll be offering the free version of mandriva 'free' or 'one'.
> Do these versions have out of box multimedia support or can this be easily
> added? As part of any ubuntu builds that are done we will likely need to
> install  all the gstreamer sets, lame and flash in order to provide a
> 'fully' functional box.
>
> dan

This is what Mandriva offered to supply:

   * Mandriva Linux One 2008
   * stickers
   * posters
   * pens
   * electronic communication kit

And there will be publicity for the events as long as Mandriva knows
in time that we're doing it. BUT, as I said in my other reply, I
doubt if Mandriva will be happy to publicise our event or provide
the free goodies if we are promoting Ubuntu!

Mandriva One provides everything a new user actually *needs* for a
basic Linux installation. Different users will want to add different
extras, depending on how they want to use their computers. I can
provide support for new users who need help learning how to add
sources for installing anything that isn't included in Mandriva One.

--
Margot