[Klug-general] Information

Peter peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 18:19:47 BST 2007

Hi,

I haven't read my emails for a week so I've only just seen your message.

I'll be sixty in January, have been using Linux for about three years
and currently have Kubuntu on my machines. I started with CP/M which was
a little before DOS.

I got started with Linux for Dummies and Teach Yourself Linux. I don't
know if they're the best but I was able to start tinkering with fstab,
bashrc and the like.

I've got a computer at home, plus two at a friends flat and they're all
linked using SSH protocols. You simply have to install openssh-client,
openssh-server and sshfs. In Kubuntu Konqueror uses FISH, another SSH
protocol.

Unlike Windows, the main problem seems to be opening up a linux machine,
rather than closing holes, which brings you up to iptables. They're a
major topic and I find I don't use them often enough to get to grips
with them so I use Guarddog. According to the ShieldsUp site my
computers are invisible to the Internet and I can't access them from an
outside machine, even with the right codes.

I don't know if this is the best route to take but it's not so easy to
rely on my short term memory nowadays and I use a few commands often
rather than many commands occasionally.

Anyway I thought I'd let you know it's possible at our age,
Regards, Peter