[Klug-general] 64 bits

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 7 11:48:53 BST 2007

Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:25 +0100, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>
>> Paul Littlefield wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Michael
>>>
>>> I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ right now, which runs like a charm. I have been using 64-bit processors for 4 years now with no problems. I use Gentoo Linux in full 64-bit mode, but also run 32-bit software under emulation. I achieve this by making sure that the kernel has the correct setting (CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y) when compiled.
>>>

>> Thanks for that Paul. That's the sort of advice I need. I had thought I
>> would use Mandriva 64-bit as I have used Mandrake/driva for nearly 10
>> years and I am not quite up to compiling up the kernel. So presumably
>> that flag is set in prebuilt systems.
>>

> WRT 64bit, I'm having some stability issues with an Athlon64 X2 on
> ubuntu.
>
> However thats not what my reply is about
>
>> I thought I would put 3Gb of RAM in it and 300Gb of HD and run VM so
>> that I can install Win2000 and the Windows accounts program I have to
>> use. That used to work under CrossOver Office but a recent upgrade to
>> the accounts software incorporated lots of .NET stuff and now it
>> doesn't. Switching back and forth 'twixt Linux and Windoze is becoming a
>> pain.
>>

> Could you help me out with this, I am perfectly willing to add support
> for your application to wine-doors, and once we have the MS .NET
> installer running on wine (or mono for windows which will probably be
> easier), I should be able to make it work fine.
>
> Let me know some details of the software, or possibly you can loan me a
> copy of it to get it running with wine-doors.
>
> And to the rest of the list, if there is anything that keeps you dual
> booting please let me know.
>
> Regards,
>  K,

Oho, that's an interesting offer Karl. I am using Sage Line50 - 2007
accounts - including 4 on-line upgrades. I have tried to install it
under CrossOverOffice and it gets well into the installation and then
just stops with half the staff in what seems to be the right directories
but nothing works.

I'd appreciate working to correct this problem. Where do I send the CD copy?

MikeR