[Klug-general] 64 bits

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 9 10:42:28 BST 2007

On Friday 07 September 2007, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
 > > Thanks for that Paul. That's the sort of advice I need. I had thought I
 > > would use Mandriva 64-bit as I have used Mandrake/driva for nearly 10
 > > years and I am not quite up to compiling up the kernel. So presumably
 > > that flag is set in prebuilt systems.

 >I would reckon so, yes.

 > > I thought I would put 3Gb of RAM in it and 300Gb of HD and run VM so
 > > that I can install Win2000 and the Windows accounts program I have to
 > > use. That used to work under CrossOver Office but a recent upgrade to
 > > the accounts software incorporated lots of .NET stuff and now it
 > > doesn't. Switching back and forth 'twixt Linux and Windoze is
becoming a
 > > pain.

  >Oh yes, I remember those days well...  ;-)

 > > So I thought the answer would be to upgrade to a bigger faster machine
 > > and host the Boy God's toys in VM.

 >Yep, that's exactly what I (and others in this group) do. I have a
Linux-native version of VMware Workstation and run multiple versions >of
Windows so that I can do my web site work. I have 4Gb of RAM in the box,
and I run Windows Me, 2000 and XP at the same time in >near-native
speed. The best £125 I have spent on a piece of software. I have been
using VMware since version 4 and they have just >released version 6. I
have not upgraded to that yet but will do soon.

 > > It should all work - they say. I hope.

 >Faultless so far. I also use VMware Server on the Linux servers I
administer.

 >If you want a really nice PC built to order, then ask Gavin Coles on
01843 848187 who has built my current and previous three >systems, and
all the servers over the years... they are very nice.

 >(banner waving over   :)

 >Hope this helps.

 >Regards

 >-- PAULLY http://www.littlefield.info/linux

Right, I've downloaded VMware workstation 30 day trial version and it
seems to have installed OK. I've created a virtual machine with 5Gb of
disk space and comms through the host and that exists OK. But I cannot
get Windows 2000 Professional to install. The installation routine
begins with the loading of the required files from the original
installation CD-ROM as normal but as soon as it starts the 'Installing
Windows 2000' routine it fails with a blue screen of death and an
incomprehensibly worded get-out clause. The main failure is identified
as 0x000000007F (0x0000000D, 0x000000000, 0x000000000,  0x000000000.

The host is an aging desktop PC running Mandriva 2007 Free with an
AMDAthlon 32bit processor running at 1.3Gh. Both the root and the /home
partitions have about 8Gb spare space.

I know this isn't ideal but I thought at least Win2000 would install.
Then I could play with it on the understanding that if it all works OK I
can upgrade to an AMD64 PC in the near future. Talking to Gavin about
that seems a good idea.

But the installation problem has me baffled!  If anyone in the group has
any ideas how to get it to run, I'd appreciate the advice.

MikeR