[Klug-general] Triple boot suggestions

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:38:07 BST 2007

On 9/11/07, Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2007, Colin McCarthy <binarysignal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all, I would like some advise and suggestions about how to best
> > 'triple boot' my new computer.  I have done the old google thing and found
> > lots of posts about triple booting however all the How-to's seem to be
> > written using a single hard disk.  I plan to have one 80GB disk for Ubuntu,
> > then one 160GB disk partitioned for XP and Vista.  I am then going to have a
> > 500GB drive for shared data.  All the drives are SATA.
> >
> > So should I start with Ubuntu first or the MS installs?  This guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=220452
> > ) says XP first. And this guide (http://www.hevnikov.com/blog/2006/11/13/triple-boot-xp-vista-ubuntu-with-single-boot-screen/)
> > Ubuntu first.  I am not bothered about having a single boot manager. I will
> > mainly be using Ubuntu, so am happy for Grub to give me Ubuntu and Windows
> > OS option and then having another Vista Boot Manager for XP and Vista.
>

> I tend to aree with Dan, But I've heard it does not matter anymore and its
> perfectly possible to add Linux to the XP/Vista boot manager, (although not
> easy)
>
> You should be able to add add both XP and Vista to grub so you don't have
> to go through two menus on boot.
>
> Windows will remove Grub on istallation, so I'd install Linux on the
> second drive and install grub both on the second drive and the first and do
> it last (ie after windows) so If windows later messes up grub you can always
> tell the machine to boot from the second hard disk (Probably when your doing
> your annual windows reinstall), (You can usally do this from the bios)
>
> Peter Childs

It in fact looks like I am not going to be able to triple boot  as the mobo
I went for  (MSI P35 Neo) is not ubuntu friendly for now.  I went for this
mobo as had all the features I wanted at a great price, I just never thought
it would be an issue.  I have just been so used to Ubuntu just working I
wrongly assumed it would on this board.  I am going to have a sweet Windows
box though.  Shame that Ubuntu will continue to be my secondary OS rather
than primary.

Colin