[Klug-general] Triple boot suggestions

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:36:49 BST 2007

On 11/09/2007, Colin McCarthy <binarysignal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I would like some advise and suggestions about how to best 'triple
> boot' my new computer.  I have done the old google thing and found lots of
> posts about triple booting however all the How-to's seem to be written using
> a single hard disk.  I plan to have one 80GB disk for Ubuntu, then one 160GB
> disk partitioned for XP and Vista.  I am then going to have a 500GB drive
> for shared data.  All the drives are SATA.
>
> So should I start with Ubuntu first or the MS installs?  This guide (
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=220452) says XP first. And this
> guide (http://www.hevnikov.com/blog/2006/11/13/triple-boot-xp-vista-ubuntu-with-single-boot-screen/)
> Ubuntu first.  I am not bothered about having a single boot manager. I will
> mainly be using Ubuntu, so am happy for Grub to give me Ubuntu and Windows
> OS option and then having another Vista Boot Manager for XP and Vista.

I tend to aree with Dan, But I've heard it does not matter anymore and its
perfectly possible to add Linux to the XP/Vista boot manager, (although not
easy)

You should be able to add add both XP and Vista to grub so you don't have to
go through two menus on boot.

Windows will remove Grub on istallation, so I'd install Linux on the second
drive and install grub both on the second drive and the first and do it last
(ie after windows) so If windows later messes up grub you can always tell
the machine to boot from the second hard disk (Probably when your doing your
annual windows reinstall), (You can usally do this from the bios)

Peter Childs

Thanks