[Klug-general] Help

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:11:44 BST 2008

I was trying to help Blake with this install at the klug meet andactually
there's a big issue with this install that would make automatic partitioning
a bad idea.

Currently the disk is deviding into two partions that take up the whole
disk- a C: and D: (as an extended partion) drive and he wished to use the
free space on the C: drive in order to install ubuntu.

So we fired up QTparted, as it's always easier to do fiddly partitioning
with a gui. We then shrunk the C: drive giving us some free space.
Next up was to create a 1 gig swap partion - no problems
We then went to create our / partion and qtparted refused due to the number
of extended partions.
To cut a long story short i think the only way we could have done it was to
shrink the c: partion, create a swap partition, grow the exteneded partion
into the free space, then shrink the D: drive and use the free space for the
/ partition.

On the basis he hadn't got a backup there was no way i was going to carve
his disk up so much as although qtparted is preety damm god there is always
a chance things might go wrong.

the only other option was a wubi instal, but as noone at the meeting had an
experience od wubi we decided that was a bad idea as well.