[Klug-general] Locked out!

richarda rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 13:44:27 BST 2008

Hope there is some-out there who can help me, I have done something
really stupid. I was trying to save my 4 accounts to the same DVD.
 In order to do this I made the home directory root-owned with all
subdirecties likewise using -R option. Similarly changed all files and
folders to rw using chmod. When I loaded the files ready to burn the DVD
only the accounts were there. Returned each account to chmod 644 as
requested by log-in but still cannot log in. I can access all files and
folders from command line as root. The Desk top log tells me that gdk
refuses to start. Is this because home has the wrong permisions set?
If so could someone tell me the default values, or at worst how I can
save each account to a separate CD, preserving the current file
hierarchy ( the only instruction in my little book strings everything
out as individual files.
 Only I could cock up while making a backup. In case you're wondering
this message comes courtesy of my old pentium III
 Rich