[Klug-general] Locked out!

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 15:09:38 BST 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:44:17 +0100, richarda <rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hope there is some-out there who can help me, I have done something
> really stupid. I was trying to save my 4 accounts to the same DVD.
>  In order to do this I made the home directory root-owned with all
> subdirecties likewise using -R option. Similarly changed all files and
> folders to rw using chmod. When I loaded the files ready to burn the DVD
> only the accounts were there. Returned each account to chmod 644 as
> requested by log-in but still cannot log in. I can access all files and
> folders from command line as root. The Desk top log tells me that gdk

gdk doesn't "start", it is a library for drawing graphics (gimp drawing
kit). You're mis interpreting the error message here.

> refuses to start. Is this because home has the wrong permisions set?
> If so could someone tell me the default values, or at worst how I can
> save each account to a separate CD, preserving the current file
> hierarchy ( the only instruction in my little book strings everything
> out as individual files.
>  Only I could cock up while making a backup. In case you're wondering
> this message comes courtesy of my old pentium III
>  Rich

OK this is how you broke it

644 on a directory makes the directory useless, as it requires execute
perms.

Instead try the following two commands,

find /home -type f -exec chmod 644 \{\} \;
find /home -type d -exec chmod 755 \{\} \;

That will give all files 644 perms, and directories 755 perms.

This _should_ make it useful again.

K,