[Klug-general] Network Manager 0.7

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 18:27:49 BST 2008

Karl Lattimer wrote:

> Fedora 9 rawhide works with Elisa here in finland though, NetworkManager
> 0.7 is pretty good :)
>
> K,
Interesting news.  I've found Network Manager to be a complete liability
with Fedora on my laptop under Fedora, for both Fedora 6 and 8 I had to
switch it off and configure wireless networking to start at boot time.
Networking was solid that way.

I do currently run Network Manager on it for wireless under Ubuntu (not
my preferred distro for a number of reasons) and found that it was
seemless in operation.  I particularly like the trick they have played
where if your desktop password and your default keyring password are the
same you don't have to retype your password to get networking started.

On that front, and something I'd like to suggest if I can find the right
place to suggest it:  It occurs to me that there are certain secrets
which should be system-wide and made available by root to all users.
(My home wireless networking key would be an example on my laptop.  At
present I have to set it up for each user.)  I did a little digging a
while back but couldn't find a way to do that.

I am expecting to move to Fedora 9 or 10 (I usually only do every other
version) on the laptop and have found 8 to suit my needs on my almost
shiny new desktop.)

Mike