[Klug-general] April Canterbury Meeting Synopsis

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 23:44:55 BST 2008

Here is a brief synopsis of todays meeting.

*
April Canterbury Meeting Synopsis *

*Attendee's *

How many Linux nerds does it take to get on the Internet? 11 and they are

Kevin, Karl B, Pete, Mike, Paul, Dan , Mark, Phillipe, Julia, Colin, Dan
Attwood

*Programming under Linux. By Kevin*

Kevin gave a very clear and informative presentation of the tools and
languages that can be used to program under Linux. His presentation document
will be made available on the website soon. We then all discussed the 'KLUG
Project' idea that was first discussed in the mailing list.

Some suggested idea's for a project included a music backup system and
adding a module to GNUCash, It was suggested that we all look at working
with the www.bobsbasement.co.uk people instead of working on our own.

It was then suggested we first help another project create documentation,
rather than going straight into our own project and start programming. It
was suggested we offer (for example) an hours time at a KLUG meeting to
produce some documentation. This could calculate to 12 'person' hours of
work. Projects like Oly's http://ubuntusm.org/ or the Karoshi project
http://karoshi.linuxgfx.co.uk/ could benefit from this.

We all decided to work on a documentation project first, and then move to a
programming project.

Kevin offered to check with Karoshi people.

At this point is was suggested next months TechTalk could be on Scribus as
it would be useful when creating the documentation. Also another suggested
TechTalk topic was MythTV as this months Linux Format had reviews of DVB
Tuners.

BREAK FOR COFFEE.

*Introduction to the Command Line Interface (CLI) by Julia *

Julia then gave an excellent overview of some very useful commands, showing
the power of what can be done and with ease.

Here's a brief timeline of what was shown

shows how to use *grep* -in

shows how to use *cd *

shows how to use *ls*, *ls -l *(which is long) *-tl* (by time) *-lr* (by
revserse) *-ltr *

shows *reset* which clears the screen

shows *man*

shows *mv* which is used to rename a file as you are moving one file to
another file

shows *man -k* (then keyword) to find command to use

shows *whois *to find out who owns a domain name

shows *dig* which gives DNS information. More detailed than nslookup

show *top* to see what processes are running

shows *screen* briefly. Good topic for another talk

shows* ps* to show processes running

shows *cat* (concatenate)

shows *wget* use* -c *to continue broken download

shows *cal *to show calendar

shows *chmod *r=read w=write x=executable look at man chmod

shows* traceroute* to show hops across the internet to a server

show *ifconfig* to show your network device configuration

*Twitter and GroupTwitter *

Dan (Monsieurledan) then quickly showed us all how to use Twitter and
GroupTwitter which (when working) could be a very useful tool of KentLUG
sending out important information like last minute venue changes etc.

Thanks to everyone who came, it was a great meeting. Please add you own
comments to the synopsis.

See you next month

Colin