[Klug-general] ADVERT: Freebie filtering for the under 11s

Martin A. Brooks martin at antibodymx.net
Thu Aug 7 14:48:55 UTC 2008

Colin McCarthy wrote:
> How does your system actually filter our mail?  How does it tie into
> my existing domain and email server (from hosted company) and into my
> inbox?

To use AntibodyMX you need to be in control of your own MX records.
Rather than these records pointing at your real mail server, you point
them to our frontend cluster. These machines (there are many for reasons
of redundancy and load balancing) then accept mail connections on behalf
of your domain.

Essentially there's 4 layers of filtering:

1) A commercial database of known-spamming IP addresses, updated every
30 minutes.
2) A variant of greylisting, the first time a unique fingerprint for a
sending mail server is seen, the connection is deferred for a short
period of time.
3) Antispam filtering using SpamAssassin and our own in house tools.
4) Antivirus filtering using ClamAV.

The freebie service offers all 4 of these layers, any one can be turned
off if you wish (obviously not many people choose to turn off layer 3
:).  Email not making it through is rejected at SMTP time.  A genuine
sender who's mail is thought to be spam or contain a virus will be
notified.  Mail that makes it through is then forwarded on to your real
mail server.

The not-free service offers all sorts of extras such as quarantining,
sender blocking, recipient address blocking, sender and domain
whitelisting, options for choosing additiona RBLs and many others.

All our servers are either from Penguin Computing or Dell, we also use
virtual servers from Bytemark (with whom we partner to provide filtering
services) for various ancillary tasks.  They all run Debian/GNU Linux.

> Maybe you can explain this service at a KLUG meeting one day.

I would like to except, alas, I am utterly terrified of public speaking :)

Regards

--

Martin A. Brooks |  http://www.antibodymx.net/ | Anti-spam&  anti-virus
    Consultant    |  martin at antibodymx.net      | filtering. Inoculate