[Klug-general] Asus Eee PC no video on linux Skype

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:01:57 GMT 2008

On 1/4/08, Mike Evans <mike at tandem.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> sireth at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> > Asus Eee PC
> >
> > Hi,
> > This is my 1st posting here and I'm quite new to Linux so please be
> nice.
> We're (almost) always nice :)
> >
> > I'm very interested in the new Asus Eee pc. My first intention was to
> use
> > it for video VOIP calls through Skype. This would be a great idea if
> only
> > Skype supported the use of web cams with their Linux based software.
> >
> Now then - someone on here recently got an eee - someone I was chatting
> to on the IRC Channel.

 I have got an eeePC and it works perfectly with the preinstalled Skype
client.  I recently made a call to a European mobile using my eeePC
connected to my old 802.11b wireless access point and the call was perfectly
clear.

I did try installing the beta Skype client with video cam support but it
would always error for me, and when I went back to the Skype website to
download the beta again it had been removed.  So I am guessing there are a
few problems.  Although Alan Pope got the beta installed and apparently the
video camera works fine, after a bit of tweaking to get it switched on.

Colin