[Klug-general] Bill Gates made Frankenstein Software Industry

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 14:02:18 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 13:45 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 13:36 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:27:41PM -0000, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> > >
> > > Bill Gates:: Imagination without reason is a monsterous thing.
> > >

> > Enough already. Please stop. I really don't care for this.
<snip />
> I for one found the recent round of speculation quite interesting.
>
> K,
I agree that the speculation was interesting, however the comparisons of
BG to Frankenstein are, IMHO, pointless and are now getting tedious as
well.

As a community, the open-source world needs to stop saying "Microsoft
are crap" and start saying "we are the best, why use anyone else?"

It's the same message, however it's worded more positively.  As a quick
straw poll, how many of you work for companies that spend their entire
marketing budget on slagging off the opposition? In the FLOSS movement,
we need to prove that our software stands on it's own merits, people
will then realise of their own accord that what we can provide as a
community is a low-cost, stable, secure and viable business option to
their IT issues.

Whilst I realise that MS-Bashing is a popular sport in the community
(and I have done more than my fair share in the past!), if people are to
see through the FUD and consider Linux/FLOSS as a viable business
alternative, we need to stop acting like kids in a playground yelling
"you smell of poo" to anyone we don't like! :o)

/me gets back into his box,

M.