[Klug-general] MiniPC to compete with eeePC

Andrew Miller (Spode) spode at thinkbikes.com
Thu Jan 31 20:47:01 GMT 2008

I think the Via suggestion is a valid one, and I couldn't agree more in
terms of enthusiasm. Hardware has been getting less and less exciting
over the past 3-4 years.

 From memory, the difference in battery life was as much 100%, but when
taking into account the lower clock speeds, and the fact they have used
an ultra low voltage chip, the difference might not be as great.
Certainly the chips would be cheaper as all the Pentium M's with dodgy
L2 cache can just be stuck in the Celeron bin.

Citing this article
(http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-thermal-features-pm.html),

"It [Pentium M] lacks Enhanced Intel SpeedStep as well as Thermal
Monitor 2. So, if you buy Celeron M, you *will not be able* to manage
its performance states or power consumption, as well as to enable the
effective overheating protection."

More in the article itself.

Spode