[Klug-general] mount floppy 1.4Mb diskettes

Mike Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 23 11:38:33 BST 2008

Me again with my interminable idiot questions !

I am trying to mount an old 1.4Mb floppy to read some old stuff. If I
use a console and type:

mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /media/floppy

... that seems to work and when I look in /media/floppy the contents are
visible, but only if I use a blue 720Kb diskette. If I use that line to
look at the contents of a black (so-called HD) floppy I get nothing.

I've trawled through all the man and help pages but I can't see any
parameter which makes 1.4Mb floppies mountable.

Am I doing something stupid here?

Any ideas would be most gratefully received. Unfortunately I cut my
teeth on Hollerith cards and COBOL. All this modern stuff is a bit
baffling.  I mean there was a time when an HD 1.4Mb diskette was
considered quite big enough for anything.

MikeR