[Klug-general] Thunderbird not Kmail

Michael Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 26 11:48:32 BST 2008

Rob Snow wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> If you want Thunderbird to open directly in your Inbox when you launch
> the application, go to " Account Settings -> Server
> <http://askbobrankin.com/thunderbird_startup_folder.html#> Settings"
> and check the box that says "Check for new messages at startup."
>
> This worked for me on Suse 10.3 and Thunderbird version 2.0.0.14
> <http://2.0.0.14> (20080421).
>
> Regards
>
> Rob
>
> ps did the QT rpms fix your Skype problem?
>

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Mike Rentell
> <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com <mailto:michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>>
> wrote:
>

>     Margot wrote:
>
>         Mike Rentell wrote:
>
>             I have a friend in America who has successfully moved to
>             Linux from entell
>
>     Treasurer
>     airship-association.org <http://airship-association.org>
>
>             the offerings of the Boy God but he has one or two minor
>             problems. This is how he describes two of them:
>
>             'Thunderbird is set as the default mail client, but when I
>             click an email address on a web page in Firefox, it opens
>             Kmail.  Do you know how I can change this? I can't find
>             any way in Firefox or Thunderbird/preferences/.'
>
>             He adds:
>
>             'Thunderbird opens in Local Folders. I want it to open in
>             Inbox, but I can't find a way to set this.'
>
>             Both these are beyond me, anyone any bright ideas I can
>             feed back stateside?
>
>             Ta
>
>             MikeR

>         For mailto links in Firefox, it will default to the default
>         mail app for whatever desktop he's using. As it's coming up
>         with Kmail, I assHah! Excellent. I never knew of that little
>         wheeze. Many thanks Margot, I've learned something and so will
>         friend John in Maryland.
>

>     I'll pop it off to him right now.
>
>     Mike R
>
>     ume he's
>
>         using KDE - Gnome users would default to evolution. You can
>         change the preference within the desktop, but the best way to
>         do it is to change it within Firefox itself so if he decides
>         to experiment with other desktops it will still come up with
>         the same mail client. Here's how to do this:
>
>         1. Open Firefox
>
>         2. type "about:config" (without the quotes) in the address bar
>
>         3. Scroll down to see if there's an entry for
>         network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
>
>         (a) If the entry exists, right click on it & Modify the string
>         to read "/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird" (without the quotes).
>
>         (b) If the entry doesn't exist, right click anywhere in the
>         list & select New, String - enter the preference name as
>         "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto" (without the quotes) and
>         the string value as "/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird" (again,
>         without the quotes!).
>
>         For the other problem, I have no idea, sorry!

> [...]
Another new wheeze, thanks for that Rob. I'll get that off to John today
too then he should have a perfect system.

Regarding the Skype problem, No I couldn't get it to work so I've
replaced the Mandriva 64bit system with the 32 bit system and everything
works fine. Just feel that it is a bit of a swiz not exploiting the 64
bit capabilities. But it seems to me that most 64bit offerings are not
quite as good as their original 32bit forebears. I shall just have to
wait for the future to catch up with its past. There were other
problems, like when I started VirtualBox and ran WinXP I lost the sound.
Back in 32bit Mandriva that works too. All very odd.

Thanks to all for the help. Sorry about the delay in acknowledging all
the suggestions, been arranging a family funeral all week. That was
yesterday and now we are in the post traumatic stress situation. Should
be back in harness on Monday and bothering everyone again winkling out
Linux wheezes.

MikeR