[Klug-general] KLUG - Karoshi Doc Project

Karl Buckland karl at digital-end.com
Sun Jul 27 00:30:21 BST 2008

Re: documentation.

It was originally suggested at the April meeting that we could use Scribus
and that we may have a presentation on it. Obviously that hasn't happened.
Does anyone know enough about Scribus to be willing to do that? I know
nothing about Scribus at all, so I can offer no advice on whether or not it
would be apt.

After Julia's Latex talk someone suggested we could use Latex for the
documentation as Latex documents can easily be converted into other formats,
whether it be help files for an application, xml, html, a book, etc. The
problem we discovered with Latex was that it will present a barrier to some
of the less technical members of the group and it's something people have to
learn. We're also left with the question of how to manage the Latex files
between the group. If we have to store the Latex files in a CVS or SVN
repository then that presents yet another barrier and another learning curve
making this option less than ideal - especially once you consider that it's
more likely that the less technical members of the group may be the most
willing to write accurate and detailed documentation.

Of course we are also left with the option of a Wiki, which is open to all
and manages itself. It certainly seems like the lazier and probably most
open option so therefore it's the one I support at the moment (subject to
information about Scribus!).

Karl