[Klug-general] KLUG - Karoshi Doc Project

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 20:22:49 BST 2008

On Tuesday 29 Jul 2008, Mike Evans wrote:
> > We can have a virtual meeting and do some idea storming on the best
> > ways to tackle this project.  How about this Wednesday at 8pm on IRC?
> > Is that good for people?
>
> Colin suggested this Wednesday (that's tomorrow) at 8.  That's a little
> sooner than I suggested in my original post, but there has been a fair
> amount of discussion on this and the dimdim thread, and I can make that
> time.  Anyone can turn up and I would suggest the following agenda based
> on the items already raised:
>
> 1)  What's the end result we're aiming for?
>
> So far suggested:  A bunch of walk-throughs with lots of screenshots and
> maybe some screencasts.  Paper documentation has had a mention.  Padding
> out the existing Karoshi Wiki.
>
> 2)  What's the process for getting there?
>
> 2a: The idea of using our own wiki as an intermediate step seemed to
> meet with general favour.  If we go for this approach, which Wiki, who's
> going to install it?
>
> 2b: What other resources do we need? Is the demo Nathan pointed us to
> enough.  Is it a good first step.  Should we pursue the idea of a VM
> Karoshi network, and can we practically do that on our existing server?
> Is IRC the best discussion forum?  Is it worth going through the pain of
> setting up a voice conference? (If we do it regularly then maybe we
> wouldn't have the technical hurdles every time.)
>
> 2c: What are the steps?  Can someone suggest/create an outline structure
> that we can start to fill in?  Then what steps of editing, cross
> referencing, tidying up etc do we need to get to the final deliverable?
>
> 3)  What are the roles involved?  Here's a suggestion:
>      - Technicians: set up the wiki, vms etc.
>      - Framework designers: give us an initial structure to work with
>      - Researchers:  go grab the material and put it down
>      - Editors:  people who can sort out our rubbish English :-)
>      - Reviewers:  people who can tell us if it's meaningful I guess
>      - Programmers: automate conversion into other formats.
>      - Managers:  what do we do?  Someone remind me!
>
> Feel free to add some or shout me down in the meeting.  Once we have an
> idea of the process and the roles we can look at where we have the
> people to do them.  From my knowledge of the group I suspect we have it
> pretty much covered because we are quite a diverse lot!
>
> For those not able to be present we can capture the log and put it up on
> our main site for others to see.  I'll also attempt some sort of minutes.
>
> Let's see how far we can get on these items, get some feedback and see
> if we need to set up a further meeting to hammer out our 'initiation
> phase'  Sorry, that's me coming over all project managerish again!  If
> we can't get many together on IRC tomorrow then we can do it all again
> with a bit more warning.
>
> Mike

maybe we should use media wiki as thats the same existing Karoshi wiki, so in
the future if we want to merge them it will be less painful.

using a wiki in the same way as they do on wiki books:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page

(also mediawiki)

or maybe just use wiki books, then anyone else can contribute too.

most wiki have export features or api available to create static html or pdf
etc..