[Klug-general] KLUG - Karoshi Doc Project

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 19:50:42 BST 2008

> We can have a virtual meeting and do some idea storming on the best
> ways to tackle this project.  How about this Wednesday at 8pm on IRC?
> Is that good for people?

Colin suggested this Wednesday (that's tomorrow) at 8.  That's a little
sooner than I suggested in my original post, but there has been a fair
amount of discussion on this and the dimdim thread, and I can make that
time.  Anyone can turn up and I would suggest the following agenda based
on the items already raised:

1)  What's the end result we're aiming for?

So far suggested:  A bunch of walk-throughs with lots of screenshots and
maybe some screencasts.  Paper documentation has had a mention.  Padding
out the existing Karoshi Wiki.

2)  What's the process for getting there?

2a: The idea of using our own wiki as an intermediate step seemed to
meet with general favour.  If we go for this approach, which Wiki, who's
going to install it?

2b: What other resources do we need? Is the demo Nathan pointed us to
enough.  Is it a good first step.  Should we pursue the idea of a VM
Karoshi network, and can we practically do that on our existing server?
Is IRC the best discussion forum?  Is it worth going through the pain of
setting up a voice conference? (If we do it regularly then maybe we
wouldn't have the technical hurdles every time.)

2c: What are the steps?  Can someone suggest/create an outline structure
that we can start to fill in?  Then what steps of editing, cross
referencing, tidying up etc do we need to get to the final deliverable?

3)  What are the roles involved?  Here's a suggestion:
     - Technicians: set up the wiki, vms etc.
     - Framework designers: give us an initial structure to work with
     - Researchers:  go grab the material and put it down
     - Editors:  people who can sort out our rubbish English :-)
     - Reviewers:  people who can tell us if it's meaningful I guess
     - Programmers: automate conversion into other formats.
     - Managers:  what do we do?  Someone remind me!

Feel free to add some or shout me down in the meeting.  Once we have an
idea of the process and the roles we can look at where we have the
people to do them.  From my knowledge of the group I suspect we have it
pretty much covered because we are quite a diverse lot!

For those not able to be present we can capture the log and put it up on
our main site for others to see.  I'll also attempt some sort of minutes.

Let's see how far we can get on these items, get some feedback and see
if we need to set up a further meeting to hammer out our 'initiation
phase'  Sorry, that's me coming over all project managerish again!  If
we can't get many together on IRC tomorrow then we can do it all again
with a bit more warning.

Mike