[Klug-general] Is the worm slowly turning?

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 11:02:10 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:53:43AM -0400, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> As I tollerate your constant opposition to everything I say.

I don't oppose everything you say.

Just most of it :p

> I apologise for that, but when I get up first thing in the morning after
> I've tried to stop an argument going further and someone is still trying to
> have a go at me, before my mind is in gear I reacted.

Drink coffee, then do email :p

> However I feel as if there is a core of people on this list who will,
> regardless of what I say intend to attack me. Making the statement that the
> aim of the discussion was to prove me wrong is the wrong direction to take
> a discussion in. The discussion was originally on another subject, and the
> anally retentive without the bigger picture in mind picked up on minor
> issues and ran with them.

To be fair, you have hardly set youself up as the pinacle of good
mailing list ettiquette. Look at the recent debian thread, that was a
blatent personal attack.

Consider the building you are in before you throw the geological
samples.

> Its time people start to read the content, rather than the things they
> disagree with. There is no need to argue the toss over someone elses
> opinion, they are opinions after all and we're allowed to have them. I can
> argue my opinion if someone wants to contradict it, but continuing to
> contradict, then make out that it is your intention to argue with someone,
> is not conducive to a productive discussion.

Alot of people do, but alot of people are put off by the swearing and
rudeness. Personally I am kinda used to it, but I see that others really
are put off by it and thus in the interests of our family audience, we
should be politer. As for contradiction,

"an argument isn't just contradiction"
"Look if I argue with you, I must tae up a contrary position"

:p

> I was actually hoping to discuss the miriad of MIDs and other devices
> utilising Linux and making the worm turn, however the discussion was
> highjacked by people who simply want an argument. And not even an important
> argument, but an argument about opinions which can depending on your point
> of view be valid either way.

Then go for it, I am all in favour of long protracted debates on the
merits of technology, science, and the eusocialogical nature of Man. I
just don't want it to be a slagging match.

Julia