[Klug-general] Printer suggestions

Stuart Buckland stuart at nightime.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 20:02:09 BST 2008

Mike,

I'm still using an ageing HP PSC 2210 at home.  Scanning and printing
work perfectly with Linux.  I haven't tried using it as a fax gateway
because I don't have a need.  From what I've seen though I believe that
function is supported via CUPS but it looked more 'involved' that I
would like as a solution.

I used to use it directly connected to my Linux desktop but I've since
moved it onto a CUPS server servicing Linux and Windows clients via IPP.
It's also setup using saned as a network scanner serving the same
clients.

Never had a problem with it.  The HP drivers have always appeared to
work flawlessly.

With regard to having separate colour cartridges... There isn't much I
can add.  The materials I tend to print are mainly black with just an
injection of colour.  I don't print photos or full colour pages.  With
that in mind the only recommendation I would be confident in making is
ensuring there is a separate black cartridge.  I'm not even sure you can
still buy those nasty printers which used to create black by combining
all the colours together.  They really were horrid.

Stu

Stuart Buckland <stuart at nightime.org.uk>