[Klug-general] Printer suggestions

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 20:36:13 BST 2008

On Tuesday 10 Jun 2008, Stuart Buckland wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I'm still using an ageing HP PSC 2210 at home.  Scanning and printing
> work perfectly with Linux.  I haven't tried using it as a fax gateway
> because I don't have a need.  From what I've seen though I believe that
> function is supported via CUPS but it looked more 'involved' that I
> would like as a solution.
>
> I used to use it directly connected to my Linux desktop but I've since
> moved it onto a CUPS server servicing Linux and Windows clients via IPP.
> It's also setup using saned as a network scanner serving the same
> clients.
>
> Never had a problem with it.  The HP drivers have always appeared to
> work flawlessly.
>
> With regard to having separate colour cartridges... There isn't much I
> can add.  The materials I tend to print are mainly black with just an
> injection of colour.  I don't print photos or full colour pages.  With
> that in mind the only recommendation I would be confident in making is
> ensuring there is a separate black cartridge.  I'm not even sure you can
> still buy those nasty printers which used to create black by combining
> all the colours together.  They really were horrid.
>
> Stu

I've also had no problem with HP printers and also cannon. Use the foomatic
drivers with CUPS:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/Foomatic

info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foomatic

As long as the printer/scanner, shows up as seperate usb devices then you
should not have too much of a problem.

sane for scanner seems to autodetect quite a lot of models.

If you are actually going to use the FAX, then hylafax could be of use as it
has some gui clients.