[Klug-general] Re: Help with Linux TV Server (Myth) Needed?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:35:47 BST 2008

2008/6/14 Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com>:
> Following a great demonstration of what Myth can do at the meet hmm
> now some two weeks ago, I decided to have another go at getting a box
> up and running, here we go
>
> Its a dual core AMD 64 bit machine with 2Gb of memory with two hmm
> 300Gb hard disks and Hauppauge tv card in. Microsoft Remote.
>
> The TV card is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1100 DVB-T/Hybrid which Linux
> detects as a Conexant CX22702. Ok so far.
>
> Ubuntu, 8.04 will not tune using it detects it fine, but can't get a
> channel lock (Windows can so one does exists as does a digital box so
> that's not the problem) After a bit of web searching I turned off HAL
> and hmm it can now "Lock" but can't find any channels says its got
> about a 27% signal quality too. Currently I've got Mythubuntu 8.04
> installed.
>
> Knoppmyth will not even boot, gets stuck detecting hardware.
>
> This is all using 32bit versions, I still don't trust 64bit stuff yet,
> But I spouse I could try that if people think it will help.
>
> If you need any more details tell me what and I try and find it. I'm
> usually quite advanced at Linux stuff, but this ones got me stumped
>
> Any Help?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Childs

Not sure if this message got lost, also not sure where. Anyway after a
lot more poking around on the internet, Discovered a patch for v4l
which meant recompile v4l from source.

I'm now running Mythbuntu 64bit with a patched version of v4l (must
take a note of where I got the patch from!)

This patch creates two dvb frontends in the same adapter folder, which
work fine in kaffine but not in myth. Ie both tuners turn up in
/dev/dvb/adapter0, first one ending in 0 (thats the satelite one) and
second ending in 1 (thats the Terrestrial one) eg
/dev/dvd/adapter0/demux1

In Myth it works if I first hmm

mkdir /dev/dvb/adapter1
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/net1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/net1
ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

Myth can then be restarted and works. (So long as you don't try and
use the satellite tune at the same time (Don't have a sat so don't
care)

How do I tell udev to do this automatically. I think this is strictly
a bug in Myth that it can't cope with dvb cards with multiple
frontends (dvb frontends not to be confused with Myth frontends they
are completely different)

Oh its a HVR3000 tri-tuner card is that helps

Regards

Peter.