[Klug-general] KLUG Project

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 10:23:10 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 09:56 +0000, Dan Attwood wrote:
> I've looked at dar before and was probably the closest match to what I
> was after. However my 'vision' is really something like this;
>
> fire up a nice gui
> click to browse to the music folder
> click burn
> feed it disks until finished
>
> there could well be an advanced tab that allowed incremental backups,
> or to produce a list of whats on each disk, or to allow gzipping or
> whatever. But i see all of those functions as advanced.
>
> As Karl mentioned archive integrity, especially across multiple media
> is an issue. Therefore I wouldn't do compression of any kind. that way
> if a disk is damaged there is still a chance of being able to  get
> some of the data of the disks.

Still, keeping error recovery data along side would be nice just in case
one file is damaged.

> And as for forking or expanding a feature set, well it's a possibility. however, without knowing much about programming, i think my proposed project is a pretty simple one. Maybe it could serve as a test project to see how we all work together and set up some infrastructure etc before moving on to some of the bigger, more complicated and more exciting ideas that have been suggest by kevin and others

To help get you lot started on this, I have some cool code that'll do
most of your UI boiler plate http://www.qdh.org.uk/wordpress/?p=204

As the article says it'll grab a glade file and convert it into PyGTK.
Its far easier to do glade/gtk code this way than any other :)

So now you'll only have the underside to do.

Br,
K,