[Klug-general] Ashford TechTalk Topics

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Thu May 22 20:36:54 BST 2008

Colin McCarthy wrote:

> My question would be about how to easily get downloaded video content
> over to the MythTV box from another Windows or Linux computer.  I tried
> MythTV a couple of years ago, but had no idea of SCP or SAMBA to get
> content on it.

I tend to do the DVD/DV encoding on my Desktop machine which is fast and
then scp it over to the MythTV box. At the moment but I suppose it could
be scripted.

> Also being able to remotely control it and set up recordings over the
> internet (if possible) would be interesting.

I managed to get bluetooth working with a bit messing with hcitool. Then
using the remote control software on my Sony phone I connect and this
makes a HID connection that allows mouse and keyboard control. Works
surprisingly well.

At the moment I'm designing a MythTV addon. It's going to be a large LED
message board which runs as an independant real time clock and alarm
until the MythTV box powers up and then it has some extras:

* Email inbox count.
* Scrolling message board with messages picked from a certain email
address/SMS text. ie one way IM. Will have a load of memory built in for
stored messages.
* Link up to the phone line and mute/pause MythTV when the phone rings.
* Add some sensors for non-bluetooth control
* A simple VU meter for fun.

And further link ups later.