[Klug-general] SSL bug

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri May 23 14:41:38 BST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 08:28:30AM +0300, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> Just because you still put your faith in something like that doesn't
> mean anyone with any sense will, big companies don't risk it.
>
> I can tell you now that I wouldn't buy a service from you, after you've
> admitted you use debian. Do you advertise this fact?

lug.org.uk uses Debian on all but one virtual machine (which is
legacy).  We have no plans to change this.  When are you
unsubscribing?

BitFolk Ltd is proud to use only Debian to provide its services.  We
also donate to the Debian project (via SPI and Debian UK).  We have
no plans to change any of this.

My dayjob does not use Debian but we had to regenerate all of our
keys anyway.  We are not particularly tied to any distribution
choice (other than by history).  Very few of us sysadmins actually
have the company's chosen distribution as our personal favourite
distribution, and if we were already using Debian I doubt we would
switch.

Also sooner or later something like this will happen to any
distribution, or all at once (kernel).  To immediately jump ship
seems like a rather knee-jerk reaction.  Yes it could certainly be
justified if it turns out that Debian does not learn from this
mistake.

You haven't answered my question in an earlier email about what you
think the consequences will be for Debian within the next year.
Should I assume that you think Debian is totally done for and will
cease to exist or what?  It sounds like an alarmist thing to say but
everything else you are saying is even more alarmist..

Cheers,
Andy