[Klug-general] Give me an 'e' -> Pupeee/Puppy Dingo/meetings/intro

nic dan dungeons88 at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 10:03:46 BST 2008

Hello, Colin, Wayne & Peter & anyone else 'lurking' (what a delightful term that is<sarcasm>)
[Medwaylinux where are you/do you still exist?]

Well from looking at the map again, having been reminded of it, it seems there are quite a few close to Chatham, & only one in Ashford, yet Ashford gets a meetingspace? - Eh?!!
That would seem to me to be needing to be addressed! - fuel saving point noted
[They should come to us not vicky verky]
I used to live in London & am only in Chatham a few months, but there's very little awareness of linux in this area, that I have managed to find
I used to be [technically, still on mailing lists] member of GLLUG & Lonix, both had/combined & seperate meetings;
Gllug mainly at Westminster Uni or pubs

(
Talk on Linux Wearables by Neill Newman.
@ City University on the 9th February.

see attached pic; http://www.lonix.org.uk/images/wearables-b.jpg -
"One Lonix member tries on the headset to play Quake".
)

Meetings of Lonix used to often be held at Tushar's place @ Turtleworks UK(http://www.turtle.net/); as well as central pubs/go for an Indian/Chinese/W.H.Y. meal afterwards; & Westminster Uni - first & last for installfests
Do you do that? -Installfests, it was always very popular & a good way to recruit
Do you do that? - recruit? Advertise? Promote? Have a stand at LinuxExpo? [that could be arranged as sharespace, maybe]
Whoever owns/runs Medwaylinux don't you have a space that could be made meeting friendly, I'm sure people could help? Could be good for business - local news articles, photos etc
Perhaps even more would decloak, er, I mean delurk & come play
I'm a firm believer that meets should be friendly & relaxed so put away the flamethrowers/ laserscribes plz, all you would be jedis, & let the force be [positively] with you
It was hard enough to find any linux connection active in Kent & so far,
from my mailbox, I'm wondering if I should move back to London

Sorry if that seems harsh, but really, you all have mailboxes, &
made 'playfighting' as someone referred to it as, almost into a
spectator sport
In my experience, mainly with that other [sillybilly] OS, crossover to linux is put off by a lot of geekspeak, because thinking is required, but grub has to be THE no1 problem I hear,
"I tried to install Linux but it killed my windoze H/D"

Can't we run a training session/day?
"Bring your kit & have Linux fit - you know it makes sense" - or something
Any other Computer clubs /fairs locally where linux could be used/demoed/tried/talked about?
Retirement & just sitting on my ar*e at the keyboard is not much fun, so if anyone would like to consider these, or discuss other ideas, I'm up for it
Thanks,
Aitch
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:53:17 +0100
> From: binarysignal at gmail.com
> To: kent at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Klug-general] Give me an 'e' -> Pupeee/Puppy Dingo
>
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM, nic dan <dungeons88 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll keep an eye out for meetings in Chatham, in case you ever get here
>
> We don't have a meeting place in Chatham, but if you or someone else
> can find on in Chatham/Rochester/Gillingham we'll meet here.  Anyway
> Dover, Ashford and Canterbury aren't too far away.
>
> > PPS: Are there any members in Chatham BTW?, please contact
>
> Well I am in Gillingham and there have been some others from this
> area, but think they are lurking now. (hint delurk you Medway people!)
> Take a look at http://www.kent.lug.org.uk/klug2/map/user which is our
> website users map.
>
> Colin

All new Live Search at Live.com