[Klug-general] In-home (Ashford, Kent area) help wanted to install Fedora on home workstation.

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 23:19:20 UTC 2008

Colin & Glenda wrote:
> If you are willing to help and would like more information, please
> contact me directly at crlb at telus.net. Thank you.
>
> Colin.

Hi,  I'm Mike, and I run Fedora as my main workstation at home, and have
done since Fedora Core 2.  (Fedora 8 currently as I find upgrading every
six months too much effort so I do every other one.)

Fedora installs are generally not a problem, and these days a live CD is
also available so you should be able to try it out without actually
impacting anything.  The only issue comes if your hardware needs any
additional drivers not available on the live DVD.  This might be the
case for wireless internet for example.  Are there any specific issues
worrying you?

There is a great site published by Mauriat Miranda at
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/ which always contains good advice on
installation procedures for Fedora, including the best way to get all
the 'non-free' (as in speech) components that you might want.  (Binary
drivers, codecs and items like RealPlayer.) Just see the Personal
Installation guide for the version you are working with.  Like Mauriat I
recommend running the live CD for comfort, but then installing with the
full install DVD.  I used to dual-boot with Windows - and it works fine,
but since getting my new machine in February '08 without a pre-installed
operating system I have not needed that arrangement.

Fedora 10 is due out any minute.  (It is currently in the final testing
release.)  Fedora is sufficiently bleeding edge that it is worth holding
back a little.  They do tend to try to get the absolute latest stuff
they can in a release and as a result it's often best to hold off for a
month after release unless you are feeling brave or it's not your main
machine.  I'll probably move to 10 over Christmas.

I've mailed you directly, but also copied the list so that others can
see that I've responded and may choose to add their thoughts.

Regards,
Mike