[Klug-general] The desktop, the future...

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 22:21:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Karl Lattimer <karl at qdh.org.uk> wrote:

> What we intend to do in the coming months and possibly years is to learn
> from the mistakes made in the last 60 years of computing. Mistakes which
> have over time become norms.
>
> To begin with we're intending to do some human computer interaction
> (HCI) research, this will require some, what may seem irrelevant
> testing. For instance a bunch of white squares on a black background
> that have certain behaviours.
>
> I hope to invite many of you to help with the initial round of testing,
> which will be done via a web browser. We're specifically looking for
> computer users who aren't familiar with Linux desktops, so the newer
> users amongst you are very helpful to us.

I would be interested in this too as since I have installed Gnome-Do (
https://launchpad.net/do) I think my desktop interaction habits will change.
Instead of hunting in and clicking through menus to get to the
application/file I want I will just type it into a box and it will
load/open.

Colin
I hope this is the correct thread for this discussion. I have been busy the
last few days and have lots of catching up to do. Also slightly disappointed
about the recent email storm.