[Klug-general] Memory Stick

rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk rich-ayres at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 22:59:21 UTC 2008

Hi Its Me Again
 ( groans all round). I have somehow managed to convert two 1Gig
memory sticks into Read Only Filing system devices. Both appear on the
desktop and can be opened one appears to be empty while the other
contains lots of files which appear to contain garbage. I have mounted
both from the command line as su and tried chmod  0666 /media/disk to
try to make it read/write and also tried rm /media/* to try to  clear
it. mount with -o remount,rw also failed. Also reformatting failed as
device is read only.  Perhaps someone could tell me what I did wrong I
did use cfdisk on one to put ext2 fs on it. but the problem seemed to
happen after I moved some files into folders and deleted the rest, but
was not apparent until the nxt time I used the stick. If I've trashed
them permanently it is nota great loss but it would be nice to know why
it happened.
 regards R.

What's on TV? - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/tv/tv-guide/