[Klug-general] one server or to have dedicated servers for each task?

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Thu Oct 9 19:48:13 UTC 2008

Colin McCarthy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Etenil <etenil at etenilsrealm.nl
> <mailto:etenil at etenilsrealm.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hi girls and guys,
>
>     I'd need an opinion about a problem I'm facing. I need to host our
>     company's email, website and shared directories (samba shares actually)
>     on the web. However, I wonder if it is best to have all on one server or
>     to have dedicated servers for each task?

De-lurking!

Samba shares on a web host are going to present a security problem, and
will need locking down very carefully. Must they be on a web host?

A more normal way to do this is to keep the Samba server behind a
firewall on a LAN, and give remote access using VPN.

As regards one server or more, how many users? Are we talking 10 or 500?

Regards,

Laurence Southon
Bexley, Kent